Friday, June 02, 2006

Connections and Sparks

Welder SparksListening to some podcasts from Blazing Grace, I heard the phrase, "connections" and it reminded me of how that's what I wanted from my Dad, and looked for in all relationships ever since.




I even stepped over the line once as a Samaritan volunteer. There was a particularly cleverly manipulative caller who I allowed to trick me into an uncomfortable situation. I respected the people and the organization way too much to not think seriously about the encounter. I learned more about myself from this situation than anything else for a year before or after. Why did I find it so hard to be firm against her manipulation? Now I can see that the connection had a huge draw for me.

It's easier to find a loud and quick connection through the eyes in all the sexualized stuff on the internet and the rest of the media all around. It's tempting to go for the "easy" and quick rather than the strong and deep.

I know God is the answer but I hesitate... Do I not trust Him? Am I angry and sulking? It's so easy to get distracted and move on to something else. All the while my life is ticking away.

lightningI could keep zapping myself with images and bolts of counterfit stuff, going 'round and 'round with emptiness and numbness. The connections aren't working though. They seemed to be fine, but there's no avoiding that there are negative side effects.

To get anywhere, I need to get up and leave behind the stuff that seems so easy and familiar, stretching out for something more subtle and elusive.

No comments: